Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake - Pioneer Woman Style :)

So my Mom had asked me to find her a recipe for Pineapple upside down cake that my Nanny used to make for her.  I found a recipe on Betty Crocker.com and decided to try it out since I was Zach-less for the weekend.  I really love to bake!  I also really enjoy http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/ and that was the first site I ever saw that showed you how to make something step by step with PICTURES :) -- so I thought I would give it a whirl with this recipe :)  It was some serious work- props to Ree and anyone else who does this on a daily basis- or even a weekly basis :)

So here we go!


                                 Cast of Characters:     

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
1 jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
1 box white cake mix
Vegetable Oil and eggs called for on cake mix box


not pictured- eggs :)

 Heat oven to 350 and melt 1/4 cup butter in pan ( I use a casserole dish)


Pour brown sugar over melted butter evenly in pan (do your best :)  )


It looks like this when you are done


Next drain your Pineapple Slices- be sure to save the juice - and lay the slices in the butter/brown sugar mixture - (I didn't have enough pineapples :(  )


Then add your cherries - I had to fill in the empty spaces with the cherries.

Next add your eggs, oil (I use butter) and cake mix to a bowl.

Take your pineapple juice and add enough water to make 1 1/4 cup. (this replaces the 1 1/4 cup water that the cake mix instructions call for)   Add to the egg, butter, and cake box mixture

like so.. :)

mix on low for 30 seconds....

and then beat for 2 minutes

Immediately pour on top into your casserole dish (this was a hard pic to take!)
 Spread mixture evenly in pan

I decided to put some brown sugar on top (bottom)  - I love brown sugar...


Bake according to the directions on the box- mine took 42 minutes :)

Cut around the pan to loosen the edges

Cover with a Heatproof  plate and Flip it over (I had to have hubby do it- my arms aren't long enough :)  )
leave pan over cake for 5 minutes so the glaze can drizzle over the cake....mmmm

ta-da!

Sorry Mimi-we had to sample the cake!  I could never do this for a living...the cakes would all be missing 1/4... :)


2 comments:

Jenney said...

YUM!!! I love pinapple upside down cake. I have not had it in a long time though...good job!

Jackie said...

Had to rewrite this as I lost the first one.. I think you did great and could do a show.. it looks delish.. Granny Ballard always made this cake as it was her favorite. Hers were always made in an iron skillet. Know my Grandson loved it too...